You get to the Statistics page from the Database Overview Page or from the hierarchy tree.
What are Statistics
Statistics sample your data and are use by the query optimizer to determine the best way to execute your query.
If statistics are out of date, your queries may not be using the best process to get to data.
Example: Statistics Gone Wrong
- Table created in a test environment
- Add indexes as needed
- Deploy to a production system (no autostatistics)
- Table starts out small in production
- Generate statistics (once)
- Table grows BIG over the next 4 years, with no new statistics
- Query optimizer still thinks your table is small, and you get the wrong plan.